Friday, December 28, 2007

The Great Debaters



As a person who competed for 6 years in Speech & Debate (2 in years in Junior High and 4 years in High School) this movie brought back some old memories. More than anything, it reminded me when I was trying to prove myself in these competitions when it was rare to see a face that looked mine.

2005-2006 Loyola High School Debate Team (My senior year)


It is common knowledge that a stereotype of Blacks are we are "unintellgent" and "non-well spoken." So when one may meet or compete again a person who defies that stereotype, it's a total shock. What these characters where trying and did do (and this based on a true story) was defy those sterotypes. Stereotypes that still exist today. Stereotypes that are still trying to be fully broken.

Denzel's character in the movie stated that "Debate is like war. Words is your weapons." I couldn't agree more. I believe knowledge and knowing how to apply that knowledge can give one unbelievable power. It is in our decision and responsiblity in how we use it.

The primary co-curricular activity I wanted be a part of in high school was basketball. I wanted to play if front of hundreds (possibly thousands if we made the championship) of people. I wanted to make my mark. Turns out I would get cut ALL four years. For a while, maybe for most of my high school career, it was hard for me to deal with the fact that I was just going to be a spectator. Sometimes it was tuff for me to go to games and watch my homeboys (many of my closest friends where on the team) have fun on that court.

But as it would turn out, as I would find out later, the activity I ended up competing in for those four years would assist me more now that playin ball. The knowledge, the history, the skills, everything I learned in Speech and Debate I still use today. It has come in handy in business, it has come in handy in journalism and writing, and it has even helped me as in MC. It has helped me in basic day to day life. I also loved the traveling aspect of it as well. Going to places I normally would not have gone to went competing.

Bottom line, I loved this movie. I highly recommended it. It made me reflect and think on various things beyond debating and my high school years. My thoughts can be boiled down to this:

Life is a battlefield, what is your gift or weapon for betterment?

And on that note... I'm out.

2 comments:

The B.B. Rose said...

You stated that beautifully.
I don't know what else to say, so I will give you the most praising and admirable "word."

thE oLd SouL said...

thank you very much love