Tuesday, June 10, 2008

H.E.R

The subject of Love in Hip-Hop as been present every since LL took the bold risk of recording "I Need Love" for his 1987 Sophomore album Bigger And Deffer. So because I had some "love shit" on my mind while writing, I decided to post some of my favorite videos about the Hip-Hop and the opposite sex.

Mos Def- Ms. Fat Booty
Storytelling wise, this is one of my favorite songs period. Mos vividly tells the story of the shorty who had "all the right weaponry." Also musically, if you have heard the original sample for the song, you know that producer Ayatollah chopping work is bananaz.


Talib Kweli- Never Been In Love
Keeping the Blackstar movement goin (I wish Brown Skin Lady had a video), not only one of my favorite joint from Kweli's The Beautiful Stuggle, but one of my favorite Just Blaze beats.


Jay-Z- Song Cry
Another Just Blaze And The Blazettes Presentation, featuring Young Hov. This one was on repeat when I was bumping The Blueprint back in 8th Grade.


The Roots & Erykah Badu- You Got Me
Although "Complexity" from Phrenology (which featured Jill Scott, who wrote the hook for "You Got Me" and was featured on the song's demo) gets more burn from me, you gotta show love to grammy award winning record that introduced the mainstream to The Legendary Fifth Dynasty from The Illadelph. ?uesto's Drum and Bass inspired drumming on the tracks outro is extra dope.


A Tribe Called Quest- Bonita Applebum & Find A Way
Is really neccessary for any explanation for these two selections? Bonita is still holds up to this day and Find A Way is one of the my top 5 Dilla beats. The bassline is fuckin' immaculate.



Slum Village- Climax (Girl Shit)
Another favorite Dilla Beat of my mine, and one of my favorite SV videos. Check out Gary Coleman's cameo on his "One won't do it, not enough for me no," steelo. Check out S.V's "Multiply" from their last self-titled album. That joint to me is the sequel to "Climax."


The Pharcyde- Passing Me By & She Said (J. Dilla Remix)
Sad to say, but Passing Me By is damn near the theme to my love life. The She Said remix is one of my favorite Pharcyde joint. I love the cinematography of the video.



Little Brother- Slow It Down (Live On MTV.COM)
Did I just say "Passing Me By" was the theme to my love life? Well... almost, actually, it's Phonte's verse on this LB classic that says it all.


Bilal feat. Mos Def & Common- Reminisce
Sonically, another Dilla Dawg favorite of mine. Common's verse on here I can relate to a lot, that's why, although this is not a video, I HAD to put this joint up here.


Common- The Light, Come Close, And I Want You
As far as Hip-Hop love songs go, for me, Com has the crown. Although LL started it, Com has master the craft. The Light (another damn Dilla Classic, what is this the 5th Jay Dee produced jawn on this list?), not explantion needed. I Want You, one of my favorites from Finding Forever, I couldn't stop playing this one the day I got the album. Come Close, hidden gem in the catelog of Pharrell And Chad. As a matter of fact, I didn't know it was The Neptunes until about 2 years ago, that produced Come Close. I will be using this one when I propose. So ladies, if you are dating me, and I start rapping this song to you, to quote Flava Flav, "You know what time it is."




LL Cool J- I Need Love, Hey Lover, & Hush.
Of course I had to show love the joint that started it all. Hey Lover (featuring Boyz II Men) won a grammy back in 1996. This most likely the best of sequel to Hey Lover. Hush was pne of my favorite joints from Uncle L's 11th album "The DEFintion".




I know I missed a couple (this whole post could have been filled with all LL joints honestly), but what are some of your favorite Hip-Hop Love joints? Hit me with your selections on the comment page.

And on that note... I'm out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The Sweetest Thing" by the Fugees, & "Count the Ways" by Slum Village.. although it's not so much about love, it comes after marriage [at least to me]. Haha.

Love your picks though, especially Come Close and Brown Skin Lady even though there wasn't a video :[

thE oLd SouL said...

Good pick with "The Sweetest Thing." I forgot about that one. You know what, I thought about "Count The Ways" by S.V. That was one of favs from Detroit Deli. That beat is hypnotic as hell. Plus Dwele really freaked that hook nicely.

Anonymous said...

Uno mas! :] "Thin Line" by The Roots ft. Nelly Furtado.
Okay I'm done.

thE oLd SouL said...

Thin Line? Never heard of it. The only Roots joint with Nelly Furtado I know of is Sacrifce.

Anonymous said...

Ah! I goofed. Sorry. It's Jurassic 5 and Nelly Furtado, not The Roots. I wrote that right before I took my last final for the Quarter, and now that I think about it.. I was not in my right mind.