Thursday, August 9, 2007

Jeff N Fest

This has to be the my 4th or 5th blog about a Chicago MC. But the Chi is not only home to my grandmother (Southside at that), but also home to some of my favorite MCs. Kanye, Common, Lupe, and this man right here, a "freestyle fanatic" (c) Phife Dawg, Rhymefest. After years on the battle circuit (check Youtube for the footage), and earning a Grammy as co-writer of Ye' now classic "Jesus Walks," 'Fest finally signed a deal through Mark Ronson's label Allido Records and J Records. His debut, "Blue Collar," had some great moments: the intro from Q-Tip, right into the Just Blaze produced "Dymomite," (I never heard somebody scratch up J.J from Good Times), to the bragadous first single "Brand New" with Kanye, to "Fever" (I love that song live, he killed it on Jimmy Kimmel that night), to notion that "All Girls Cheat," to the brillant chopping of The Strokes "Someday" on "Devil's Pie, "Sister" with Eddie Kendericks "Intimate Friends" chop (I love that sample), to unbelievable story telling on "Bullet," to finally the hilarious "duet" with the late, great Ol' Dirty Bastard on their rendition of "Build Me Up Buttercup."

Now 'Fest is back with his new album "El Che" dropping later on this year. From the tracks I have heard, he is on the right track. Of course the track that shocked everyone the most was the joint he did with Lil' Jon, "Angry Black Man On An Elevator." When I first heard he was working with Lil' Jon, of course my initial reaction was "Oh Lord, Jon is going to give 'Fest 'Get Low' part 40 (tell me I not only one that thinks Jon's beats sound the same)." But as it turns out, Lil' Jon for once expanded his producing game and came with something new. This is not suprising to me because I have seen videos and read articles about how Lil' Jon is open and knows music. Well, I really hope I see more of this, because the ship that he named "Crunk" is dying a slow but sure death. As a matter of fact, I believe this whole Southern Explosion started with Jon's "Get Low" back in the summer of 2003, but that's a whole 'nother story for another blog, for 'nother day.

Earlier this year, 'Fest had a guest appearance on one of my favorite albums this year, DJ Jazzy Jeff's "The Return Of The Magnificent," with "Jeff N Fess," a reflipping of Gang Starr's "Manifest." Now, he and Jeff are back at it for "El Che." This video documents their couple of days in the studio. This video is comedy. LMAO at the Jill Scott line and Jeff always fixing 'Fest chicken!! You will only understand this if you watch the video.



The "Negro Please" Quote of The Day:
Vibe Magazine interviewing Plies of "Shawty" fame

Vibe: "Plies is an interesting name for a rapper, how did you get that nickname?"

Plies: "Plies is a tool, You can use it to put the squeeze on things, like I'm doing to these n***as in the rap game. I got the squeeze on them real tight, they feeling the pressure, or you can use it to pull things out. I pull out all the bulls**t and keep the real you feel me? It also a word you can use in terms of things goin' on in yo life, ya dig. You may hear something I say and say that it plies to me. Plies straight to me."


Vibe: "I've heard of a tool called a Pliers and the term applies."


Plies: "You know what I'm trying to say my n***a, just buy my album, I'm from the South my n***a, we don't learn no grammar. My Album out August 7, 2007, cop three copies each, it's Christmas in July fo' real, ya dig?

My peoples from the South, I gotta get ya'll opinion on this one.



This is when 'Fest opened for A Tribe Called Quest for their reunion tour last year.

I gotta got get my haircut, ya dig? So on that note... I'm out.

3 comments:

h.e.r.fection said...

ryyyyhmefesssst! cool with me

thE oLd SouL said...

he's a real cool dude in person. The reason why I got to take that picture with him was because after his set, he went down to merchandise booth himself to sell and sign his album. When I went up to him, I told him I bought his album first week (which I did, while in D.C last summer), and he was like, "Yo, then I gotta get a picture with you dawg."

h.e.r.fection said...

wow lol thats dope, rhymefest is cool