Monday, August 6, 2007

"The Circus Is Closed Down" (c) J. Dilla

This is what Dilla jokingly answered to Mr. Choc back in 2004 during an interview on Power 106's "Friday Night Flavas" when asked about Common's infamous 5th album, "Electric Circus,"(I'm still mad they took off that show. "The Wake Up Show" is the only good radio show left!). Many see E.C as the one "dark spot" in Com's catalog. Sure it was far out, sure most people would not get it, and sure some many even go so far in blaming the eclectic feel of the album on Com's then relationship with a certain singer known to wear a headwrap on stage. But you cannot knock Com and The Soulquarians (a production team made up of ?uestlove, Dilla, Philly keyboardist James Poyser, among others) for pushing the boundaries. You can't make "Like Water For Chocolate" twice.

I have a confession to make. As big a fan I am of Com's, along with "Can I Barrow A Dollar," E.C is the only Com album I do not own. For some old reason, I always make an excuse when I go record shopping not to buy it. I have had that album in my hands a couple of times while heading for the register before changing my mind and buying something else. I usually one to not read reviews and decide about an album (or movie) on my own, but E.C has been dogged so much, it makes you not want to buy the album (thank you Okayplayer Haters (c) Talib Kweli). But over the years, I have heard bits and pieces of E.C. Of course you can not deny "Come Close." I remember buggin' out late last year when finding out The Neptunes were behind that. For years I thought it was The Soulquarians. Another Pharrell and Chad track called "I Gotta Right Ta," (Key put me on this one), and other joints I can not think of right now. But everytime I heard something from the album, I always had the same reply, "This is some shit right right here." And although I liked it, I don't know why I have still not bought it.

It has been 5 years since E.C and for some reason everyone wants to play cornerback and backpeddle, saying things such as they liked it the whole time, and Dilla, Com, and Co. were geniuses for recording an album so experimental. Pussss!! Ne-gro please!! This is not the first time fickle Hip-Hop fans have pointed fingers at Dilla and Com. This is the same Dilla you blamed for "ruining" A Tribe Called Quest and same Common you said that "fell off." Don't try to front and jump on the bandwagon. It's perfectly fine to change your mind and said it grew on you, but don't lie and say you liked it the whole time. Sure it is not my favorite album from Com, but I'm not going to front and said it is to look trendy. Give them their credit for being artistic and pushing Hip-Hop into foreign terriories, but don't ride their nuts and say you like the album the whole time. Stop it!!!

Since Com is on the verge of having his first album to debut at number one this week(and The Roots were in Common's hometown of Chicago for a performance at Lollipolooza), ?uestlove thought it would be appropriate not only to tell the tale of the Circus, but to also post unused demos from the album. It is on his myspace. Here is the link.

www.myspace.com/questlove

This is a great read, and if you are a Myspace member (like everyone else and their mamas are), give the man 2 kudos. As far as me buying E.C, I think it is finally time. Mostly like next paycheck I'll buy a ticket to the wildest show on wax.

As an extra piece, here is that interview I was referring to in the beginning. You gotta love Okayplayer for the rare user hook ups. The funniest part of the interview(besides Madlib ditching the inteview to make a beat in the radio green room on his portable Beat Doctor), is DJ, Beat Junkie, and later touring DJ for Dilla, J. Rocc putting Dilla on blast playing the orignial samples he used on his songs. Apparently, Dilla was a little nervous, most likely thinking to himself "this dude is going to cost me thousands in attorney fees if he doesn't stop(if you know where I'm going with this)."

BTW, the picture of Dilla in the album cover box was drawn by my homeboy Brennon. Brennon was also the dude who designed the logo for H.F.P.



Lastly, finally completed my Dilated Peoples' album collection today (just came in the mail from CDNow.Com)...






This has been my jam all day...


And on that note, I'm out.

2 comments:

h.e.r.fection said...

you're only 19 years old?

thE oLd SouL said...

yep, hince my nickname "The Old Soul." My moms gave it to me. How old did you think I was? lol!!