Wednesday, July 25, 2007

When Jansports Attack...

If you read yesterday's entry, you saw "the tracklisting" according to Phonte for Little Brother's new album "Getback." Today I was able to get a hold of the actual tracklisting, and UH-OH... one guest appearence is going to send the Backpackers in a tizzy.

1. Sirens feat. Carlitta Durand
2. Can’t Win For Losing
3. Breakin My Heart feat. Lil Wayne
4. Good Clothes
5. After The Party feat. Carlitta Durand
6. ExtraHard
7. Step It Up feat. Dion
8. Two Step Blues feat. Darien Brockington
9. That Ain’t Love feat. Jozeemo
10. Dreams
11. When Everything Is New

Yep, your read right kiddies.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

WEEZY is going to be on "Getback."

This really should be no suprise to me since it is a known fact the Wayne is one of Tay's favorite MCs out right now. And to my knowledge, Wayne has freestyle track out over the "Lovin It" instrumental. People don't rhyme over beats if you don't know who the artist is. Also, let's not forget 9th Wonder giving Wayne a WHOLE TAPE of free beats just for mixtapes because he like him on the mic. This makes me wonder if that one reported 9th Wonder track on the album is the joint with Weezy.

My point of view of this? First and formost, I really don't care for Lil' Wayne. I think dudes can spit and I do like some of his appearences (Shooter with Robin Thicke and Hollywood Divorce with Outkast & Snoop were bananas. And I did like "Go DJ") but I honestly think he is overrated. Is he "The Best Rapper Alive?" Maybe so. BUT the best MC (there is a difference between a Rapper and A MC) alive? Not by a long shot.

BUT let's not forget, this is a LITTLE BROTHER ALBUM, NOT a Lil' Wayne album. One verse is not going to ruin a whole album. As a matter of fact, a lot of you "backpackers," and before I continue, let me give you my definition of a packpacker:

Backpacker (ADJ): A die hard fan of Hip-Hop who would not be caught dead listening to Hip-Hop on mainstream radio. Backpackers are stuck in a time warp and will turn their back on an aritst or group if they "step out of the box" and change from the aritst or group that the Backpacker first knew them as."

Backpackers are not openmined Hip-Hop fans. For me, I don't care if a track came from the underground or the mainstream, if it's dope, IT'S DOPE. If it's wack, IT'S WACK!!! People are so quick to judge the label of the music before even listening, and that is counterproductive for good music. Now how does this relate to LB? Of course I was not happy when it was announced that 9th had left the group (I still play The Listening and The Minstrel Show like they just dropped), but I was not going to turn my back on the group all together. That's just plan thickle. And anything I can not stand is a thickle person! On any subject, not just in terms of Hip-Hop!

You packpackers were saying I'm done with LB because 9th is not producing them anymore. Shoot, some of ya'll were saying they "sold out" on "The Minstrel Show," and 9th did most of that album! Come on! Give me a break! Artists need to evolve and change. That's how one keeps self-intrest in their work and how an arist improves. As a artist myself,I would hate to be pigeon-holed in making the same type of records over and over. It always fun to try something new. How can you turn your back on a artist or group because they want to evolve their game and challenge you as fan? Tay and Pooh are one of the best doin' it right now and regardless if 9th was on the beat or not, they still made dope records. I loved "Life Of The Party" and wore out the "And Justus For All" mixtape.

Like everyone else, of course I had the "you gotta be kidding me" look on my face when I saw the Weezy guest appearance, but my next inital thought was "I going to trust them." LB has not disapointed me yet on any front, and knowing how they love Hip-Hop, I don't think that is going to change. So everyone, PLEASE, put away your jansports and the picket "Fuck LB" signs. The album is not dropping for another 2 months, let's wait to hear it before we pass judgement. Tay & Pooh have to be marketing geniuses for this one. People are now going to pick up the album only for two reasons (and it's not because LB makes fresh music). One, can the group make another classic without 9th, and two, how does "The Weezy Track" sound. Man, people don't buy albums on the strength of the music anymore. There always have to be some type of controversy. That's a shame. But if it compells them to buy the record and like it, then it works out in the end.

But if the track with Wayne blows up, it going to be funny to have people come up to me talking about "Hey I love that new Wayne track with them dudes from North Carolina. I think their name is Little Brother. Have you heard of them?" And I'm just going to look at them for a second and go "NIGGA WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!???!?! YOU MAD LATE!!!! LB's been dope!!!!" LMAO!!!!

And now, for your listening pleasure, Madlib The Beat Konducta:


And on that note, I'm out.

3 comments:

h.e.r.fection said...

when you want to put pictures on here don't use photobucket. they allow you to upload pics through them. when u start a new post you'll see the option
to make your font bold or italics, then you'll have a spell check option
then there is a little picture, click it and upload ur pics there
they resize them automatically. i hope this helps tell me if you get
confused

h.e.r.fection said...

yeah wayne is a tay fav, thanks for the tracklisting you know i have to post it. you haven't heard that "lovin it" track with wayne? thats when i use to play wayne. no more now

thE oLd SouL said...

oh, no wonder. Because, I have been using photobucket, lol. Btw, why you don't like Wayne anymore?