Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Killing ME Softly

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was going to come up with a caption for this. But this is so bad, I can't even comment. Play fill in the blank. Well, at she gave us these...





AND HOW CAN YOU FORGET THESE!!!!!!




And I'm even gonna throw ya'll a B-Side joint!!!


Now we're done with that trip down memory lane, another "fill in the blank" picture.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

LMAO!!! I love ?uesto's WTF look in the third shot!!!!

This next video is a prime example of why I love Youtube. It's greatest thing to happen to internet next to Myspace. This jail out in the Philippines recreated THE WHOLE THRILLER MUSIC VIDEO! No, I'm not playing. This has to be one of the wildest things I have ever seen. You HAVE TO SEE THIS TO BELIEVE IT!! But yo, real talk, I feel sorry for the dude that played the girl. The last scene in the video was mostly likely only a glimmer of what dudes has already "endured" while locked up.


I found out some pretty intresting information regarding Tribe's "Low End Theory" album. Pete Rock came out around 2004 and stated that Q-Tip stole the "Jazz (We've Got)" beat from him. Here's the story word for word from Soul Brother No. 1 himself...

Interviewer: You were involved with ATCQs Low End Theory...

P.R: I did "We Got the Jazz."

Interviewer: What did you do on that?

P.R: The whole beat!

Interviewer: You didn't get credit for it.

P.R: No. He shouted me out at the end and that was a big discrepancy for me. What happened was, Tip used to come over all the time. One time the "Jazz" beat was already playing in the drum machine. I went to answer the door and left the beat playing. He came downstairs like, "What the **** is that?" I even had the records I sampled still sitting there on the turntables because I'd just made the beat. [Lucky Thompson's] Cook County Jail. He was like, "You making this for CL?" and I said I was just ****ing with it. But he knew what I used and took the same elements, and made it the exact same way. And then at the end of the record he says, "Pete Rock for the beat ya don't stop." I made that ****. That's my ****. I'm taking all my credit back from n*ggas that stole from me.

Interviewer: You had the "Don't Change Your Love" drums in there too?

P.R: The way you hear it on the Tribe album is the way I had it. I had a few other little guitar sounds or something going on in there, I wasn't going to use them anyway, but I was going to use the beat. He came down there and heard it and never said, "Hey Pete, come in the studio and lay this down for us." He didn't tell me he was going to use it. Puffy did the same thing to me with "Juicy." I did the original version, didn't get credit for it. They came to my house, heard the beat going on the drum machine, it's the same story. You come downstairs at my crib, you hear music. He heard that **** and the next thing you know it comes out. They had me do a remix, but I tell people, and I will fight it to the end, that I did the original version of that. I'm not mad at anybody, I just want the correct credit. **** that. Y'all can't just be robbing mu'****as. If you didn't do the work, I'ma expose you. When you have an idea and someone just takes it, that's kind of wack. You must not do much clever thinking. I mean, there ain't much to it, just make the ****in' track. A lot of people have gotten ideas from me, a lot of people have learned from me. And that's all well and good, I love the fact that I can teach somebody. But there's a lot of manipulators out there, they don't do the hard work, and think they can just take somebody's idea.

Wow. That is mad crazy and messed up at the same time. Now, anyone who knows me personally knows I'm a HUGE Tribe fan. I have all 5 albums (I support all three members solo projects also), I got the chance to see them on their reunion tour this past September (one of the best nights of my life), not only have they influence my own music, BUT EVEN THIS BLOG IS NAMED AFTER ONE OF THEIR ALBUMS! But I gotta say Q-Tip was wrong for that one. Man, I would have been heated if not only did someone steal my beat, but also had the nerve to shout my name on the track, basically saying, "Yo man, thanks for the beat." If you love the beat so much, PAY FOR IT!!!! After hearing this story, I will never leave beats playing out loud when another produer comes in my house. I wonder if Tip & Pete ever settled the dispute? If not, they need to. It's been nearly 16 years since "Low End" and both men are legends of Hip-Hop. There's no need to fight over it now. However, if the beat Tip stole would have been T.R.O.Y, I would not blame Pete for being saltly to this day. Pete has whole discography of classics, but that his trademark beat. And as far as Puffy pulling an Ice Cube and "Jackin' For Beats," tell us something we don't know.

Finally today, shouts out all the way to North Carolina to Little Brother. Their new album "Getback," will be in stores September 25. Of course the big question in all this is "Can LB make another classic without 9th Wonder?" I believe they can, but it's not going to be easy. What made "The Listening" and "The Minstrel Show" so great was the fact since one producer handled the majority of the production, the album had a seemless flow to it. Sonically, the album sounded like a body of work, not a "mixtape with a bunch of singles," which is how many albums in Hip-Hop sound today. But if anything, the first single "Good Clothes," is a good sign of things to come. On Phonte's infamous blog today, even supplied the offical cover art, and "the tracklisting."

1. (angry song with a creepy chorus)
2. (neckbreaking song with weird meter change)
3. (song that will make core fanbase gasp in disbelief)
4. Good Clothes
5. (song that features the same person who was on the first song)
6. (song to ride out to)
7. (song that your girl will love)
8. (song produced by the same person who produced the song that introduced you to the person on songs 1 and 5)
9. (bittersweet song)
10. (tearjerking song)
11. (the last song)

Produced by Seven Niggas and a Bad Ass Filipino
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This should be intresting. Can't wait for the release date. And just in case you have not heard yet "Good Clothes," do your ears a favor and bump this.


And on that note, I got on my good clothes, and I'm out.

4 comments:

h.e.r.fection said...

changed my link
http://herfection.blogspot.com/


yeah lauryn killed me looking like that and how she acted.. good post though!

thE oLd SouL said...

yeah when I saw that picture, all I could do is shake my head. My little sister said she looked like on of the Cosby Kids from the Fat Albert cartoons when dressed like that.

h.e.r.fection said...

lol
where did you get the photos with yayo & questlove

thE oLd SouL said...

it was okayplayer one day on the front page.