Saturday, July 28, 2007

Champion Sound

I did something on Friday I have not done in a cool minute. That's seeing two movies in one day. I didn't plan on it, it was straight up random. I saw "The Simpsons Movie" and "Talk To Me" last night with my little sister. Needless to say, it was a full 6 hours of entertainment and inside jokes. That is why I love going to movies with my sister, there are just some inside jokes or plan goofy ass jokes that I tell that no one with get (or laugh at) but my sister. I may make a crazy observation about what is seen on screen and whisper to my sister. She does the same as well. It creates a series of inside jokes that may continue days, weeks, months, EVEN years. Makes the experience that much better.

Not to give anything way, I will say this about "The Simpsons Movie." If you love the show, you will think this movie is straight up and down classic. As a long time viewer and fan of the show, I am VERY pleased how the movie turned out. It was 90 straight minutes of laughter and madness, as only The Simpsons can deliver. It was 18 years worth the wait. And even if your not a avid watcher of the show, you will still enjoy this movie.



Ya boy guest starring on The Simpsons (I got pretty close with my likeness. But it could be better).

Like I said before, it was not planned to see two movies in one day. My sister and I got outta The Simpsons around 6:45. As we are walking down the escalator I just said, "Yo, we still have daylight. Do you feel like seeing another movie?" Of course my sister is all one for getting out the house, so she was down. The showing started at 7:10. Could not have timed it better.



I have trying to peep this movie since I saw the ad one day watching t.v. As a radio DJ myself, I had to check this out. Plus Don Cheadle is one of my favorite actors. As a side note, I cannot wait to see him portray Miles Davis in his autobio flick next year. That's going to be mad ill. But back to "Talk To Me," before I saw the movie, I was trying to figure out, since this dude "Peedy" Greene had such an impact in the field of talk radio, why have I not heard of this dude before? But then again, I thought there have been SO many impactful Blacks in history that we have never heard of,(or who's history had been played down in pop culture), so go figure. I remember saying to my sister, after overviewing age range in the audience, "I bet money we are the young people in here." This one lady overheard me and started laughing, I didn't know untill we were walking out the movie that it was friend of the family I had not see in a cool minute. It was cool to talking to Floyd again, because she is one to always to real in a conversation.

The movie was excellent. It shows that anybody can make something of themselves... if they want to. Don Cheadle gave another award winning performance. The thing I love about his work is when you see him a flick, you feel like your watching the character, not Don. I have seen him do it in EVERY film I've watched him in. Honestly, I have to agree with my moms, Don is better with the "chameleon" acting techinque then Denzel. With Denzel, although he loses himself in the role as well, Denzel still has his little signatures where you know it's still Denzel. EVERY movie he's in has that ONE line that everyone remembers. Examples:
"This ain't no bank robbery!"
- Inside Man

"I am not going to bury my son, my son is going to bury me!"
- John Q

And of course...
"King Kong ain't got shit on me!"
- Training Day

Get the point?

All the acting performances were top notch, and I cannot forget about Taraji P. Henson. (Visualizes Taraji for a moment), to quote De La, "Oooh Oooh, Ooh, ooh," damn that girl is bomb!!!! 70's dresses and afros on chicks were made sexy again for me while watching that movie. The soundtrack always had me bobbin' my head as well. I'm fan of old school Soul and R&B. I was defiantly happy I wore my James Brown T-Shirt that day. It felt like a honor. This movie has mad quotables! I would restate them here, but I don't want to give them away. You have to see the movie for yourself. It's worth your time and money, no doubt.



Lastly, while trying to kill time before the 1st movie, I finally copped the deluxe edition of Jaylib's "Champion Sound." This was the classic collaboration album between J. Dilla and Madlib. If you don't know about this album, let me give you a quick lesson history behind it. Around 2000, DJ J-Rocc (founder of L.A based DJ crew, The Beat Junkies, also with DJ Babu from Dilated Peoples), passed a beat tape full of unreleased joints by Dilla to Madlib. Madlib, inspirited by these beats, record his own vocals over them. Madlib had no intentions of releasing them, but after Stones Throw put out one of the Jaylib cuts on a mixtape, the track started to catch fire; eventually becoming a sought after bootleged 12". This is when Dilla found out. Jay had worked with Madlib before on his ill-fated (and still unreleased) album for MCA Records. When Dilla called Madlib to see what the deal was, this is when two decided to start sending beat to each other and make the Jaylib project official. According to Jay Dee, the album was recorded in a two-track recording, mixtape/Dub style; just the beat and the MC's vocals. That's why the album as such a raw feel to it.

The deluxe edition is a 2-disk set with unreleased remixes, b-sides, and all the instrumentals from the album. Although I have a original pressing of "Champion Sound," it was cool for me as a DJ because I am one to collect remixes, b-sides, and instrumentals. This album is banging from beginning to end, and is a must have for any one that loves real Hip-Hop. However, there is only one complaint have regarding the re-issue. The beat for "The Red," which is not only one of the most popular tracks on the album, but also in the whole Stones Throw discography, had to be change because the sample for the track came to light all over internet message boards, and Chis Williamson, the aritst of "The Red's" sample, "Shine On," issued a cease-and-desist against Stones Throw. This is what held up the re-release of the album.

You cannot get mad a Williamson for doing this, you gotta clear your samples man (or chop them up beyond recondition). But damn, "The Red" is one of the best songs on the album! The new version is still dope, but it cannot top the original. As a matter of fact, that was one of my favorite Jay Dee beats that made me declare him as my favorite producer. The song also holds another special place in my heart because my homeboy Keyon and I rhymed over it last summer for H.F.P's second mixtape entitled "Summer Madness Vol. 1." I still love how that record came out. I highly recommend picking up this album, and getting a hold of the original version of "The Red." It should be on the internet and it's on Stones Throw's 10 Years Compilation LP(which is also worth copping as well).



As a matter of fact, I'm gonna give 2 ya'll...


And, I'll even bring the DJ Chuck & Key-Real remix outta the H.F.P. vault.This was recorded in my room, in my home studio I call "The Cotton Club" (named after the famous Black Jazz club once located in Harlem), on a dynamic mic, with our mic stand being a broom stick, held up by some boxes and books, and the mic holder being my step-father's old PDA case taped to the top of the stick. We have come along way since then... trust me. LOL!!!


And on that note, I'm out.

2 comments:

h.e.r.fection said...

man you're good not to already have the common album.. i just couldn't resist!! ahh

"if rap was harlem, i'd be james baldwin"

thE oLd SouL said...

only a couple hours left. I will post my review of it up here 2marrow.