Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Uptown Saturday Night

Luchini

Coolie High

Just saw these two videos on MTV Jams just now and though it was so necessary to post these.


(From Wikipedia.Org)
Uptown Saturday Night is the debut album from hip hop group Camp Lo. Throughout the album, the group displays a style that is heavily influenced by 1970s pop culture. The title is a reference to the 1974 film Uptown Saturday Night. The album debuted at #27 on the Billboard 200, and featured the hit single "Luchini AKA This Is It". The title of their debut single "Coolie High" is a reference to the 1975 film Cooley High. The album cover was inspired by Ernie Barnes' painting The Sugar Shack which was used as the cover of Marvin Gaye's 1976 album I Want You and in the credits sequence of the 1970s sitcom Good Times. The music video for the album's final single, "Black Nostaljack", featured Jimmie Walker and Bern Nadette Stanis reprising their Good Times characters of J.J. and Thelma Evans.

Camp Lo recently just put a new LP last July entitled Black Hollywood.

And on that note... I'm out.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first song I heard by Camp Lo was Luchini, but then I heard Coolie High and was hooked. After that, Sparkle became the main cut playing in my car ride from school to work.
I wish I was this age back when Camp Lo was starting up.. My big brother is lucky he grew up with hip-hop.