Monday, March 31, 2008

NY's Finest Comes 2 L.A


Before anyone asks, why do I look so goofy in this picture? Answer... because my uncle caught the shot when I was not ready. Couldn't take a second, had to keep the line moving. But I can careless. Today I got meet one of my favorite producers, The PR, Chocolate Boy Wonda, Soul Brother # 1 himself, Pete Rock.

In an hour long DJ set at Amoeba Records in Hollywood, Pete played cuts spaning his 20+ year career, some of his personal favorites past and present, EVEN dropped some exclusives. Some of the joints were a new songs he produced for The Lox, Termanology, even a joint with Oh No of Stones Throw.

Speaking of Stones Throw, not only did "The Funky President" J. Rocc come through to show love to the set (and even do some record diggin' himself), Pete dropped a bombshell and said he is working on some material with... get this.... MADLIB. HO.. LY... SHIT!!!!! Can ya'll even comprehend the dopeness of that project? I'm looking forward to that to grace my eardrums.

Since my sister and myself arrive to the store early, we thought it would be a great time to do some diggin'. This was my sister's first trip to Amoeba, and like any music lover who first steps in that paradise of records, she lost her mind, lol!!!

I myself found some joints I have been searching for 4 a minute. Including Dilla's Jay Loves Japan and I EVEN FOUND a actual physical copy of Blu & Exile's Below The Heavens. I couldn't believe I found one. Sidenote, there was a cute girl was diggin beside me that I, by accident, picked up her vinyl copy of Tribe's The Love Movement, in amazement that it was still in print. We talked for a minute and.... damn I should have gotten her number, lol!!! Meeting a girl diggin in a record store... WITH A TRIBE RECORD IN HER HAND!!?!?!??! For me, that's damn near wifey material, lol!!!! Anyways....

Something that myself and my other attendees got a kick out of was about 10 minutes before he started his set, Pete came on stage and stated he would be out in a couple of minutes because he was still shopping for records. Now that my fellow readers, is a beatsmith committed to his work, lol. The picture above is the boxes of records he bought.

One other thing I found dope but also humorous. My uncle, who is his early 40s (and shares the same birthday as myself. I will be 20 in a week!!!) went along with us for the ride, not knowing who Pete Rock was. He had heard the name before, but did know the music. He told Pete afterward that he had made a new fan that night and that he would support the new record when it dropped. My sister and I started laughing at my uncle when Pete to him the record was out now. It was one of those "out of the loop moments" but none the less, a beautiful sight.

These last 2 weeks have been incredible. Things have changed in so many ways you can't even imagine. More details AND, my long awaited and overdue review of Paid Dues with pics and video is coming this week. And if you have not yet... COP THAT NY'S FINEST!!!! IN STORES NOW!!!!


And on that note... I'm out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were livin my dream haha. It must have been amazing; truly a dope experience being able to meet the living legend, PR, in person. I guess copping records was the icing on the cake. btw - my local record shop has been selling Below the Heavens for a minute, I didn't even know it was hard to get a physical copy. Thats a very dope album, one of the best of 07' IMO.

Peace

thE oLd SouL said...

true true. I first bought B.T.H on i-tunes the day before I wrote that list of my favorite albums of the year. If I would have gotten a hold of it earlier with time for me to really listen to it, it would have made the list. But its mos def one of the most slepted on LPs of 07.