Monday, January 21, 2008

Kingdom Day



What can I say that has not already been said about Dr. King, that has not been said already? His legendary voice, his ideas, his marches, his actions, his impact. All of this is well known and well documented. However, what angers me personally (and I get this feeling almost every Kingdom Day), is while we extensively honor this man, we DO NOT HONOR HIS PASSION. His passion being his fight for worldwide peace and equality. There has been improvement, no question about that, but there is still work to be done.

Furthermore, in relation to my own people, we have not fully done our part in honoring Dr. King and other civil rights leaders' works. And when I mean honor, I don't mean a national holiday, equaling parades and a day off from school and work. I meaning honoring through action.

These men and women, "our forefathers," walked through hell, sacrificing everything (even their own lives) so my generation, future generations can have the opportunity, to winess their dreams manifest and become a reality. Honestly, I feel my generation has yet to FULLY take advantage and further build upon the work of the civil rights movement.

To my generation, hear and understand when I say, this is not me dissing ourselves. While we are human, and we will hit road blocks and make mistakes; it seems we do not learn and counterwork through those pitfalls. Through my words today, I may somewhat, sound like a 70 year old, rockin' a colorful Coogi sweater, appearing on CNN, complaing about today's youth. But this is not the case. Because unlike some of these critics, I see a postive solution; because if there anything worst, it is a person that compains and provides no solution.

What I am saying... or rather purposing today, and not to just my generation, but everyone, is lets not wait until that Monday in January to honor Dr. King. Let's honor Dr. King EVERYDAY; through our everyday words, actions, and thoughts. While this may seem as as somewhat complicated, I see this a small way to say "thank you" to those who fought on those battlegrounds. That generation wanted the sky, we should want the galaxy, ya feel me?

I am merely stating my personal feelings about this because I give a damn. I give a damn about my people, I give a damn about the future generations, and I give a damn in truly honoring the heroes of that era; that their sacrifices do not go down in vain.

"The Dream" is not an annual 24 hour mindstate, it is a way of life.



Thank you Dr. King. Much love, Soul Claps and Salutes to my brotha.


And On That Note... I'm out.

0 comments: